Smithfield is finished, just in time for a second snow day. This sucker is super warm. I used Cascade 220 in Provence. I used exactly 6 balls of it and had just enough to complete a tubular cast off for the neck.
If you look at this pattern (free on Knitty), you might notice that it starts at the neck. Well, after I finished it I didn’t like the regular 1×1 ribbing with my added length since it was right up against my neck, so I chopped it off. I picked up from the row where I cut and I used instructions from Oshima to make the collar more like a loose cowl. I knit it about 2.5 inches shorter than instructed in Oshima because a) I didn’t feel like breaking into a 7th ball of yarn and b) I was ready for it to be over. You’re looking at unblocked work here. Normally I’d do a wet block, but I just didn’t feel like it today. I finished the cast off, wove in the ends, and just didn’t feel like putting anymore work into it at this time. I’ll get around to blocking it soon, and I anticipate that the neckline will be even more loose and cowl-like at that point.
I added 4″ in length before the bottom ribbing to make sure this hit me at the tunic length I wanted. I think I added about 1″ to the sleeves. I also knit this at a looser gauge, making the 37″ chest size and ending up with about 41″ for the chest. I love the fit.
Twenty eight weeks pregnant here! Crazy crazy.