I started a Marin a couple of days ago. I’ve had the pattern for awhile, and even the yarn in mind that I thought would be perfect for it. I just hadn’t been in a shawl mood for a really long time. Since spring seems finally just around the corner, it is a good time for a transition piece.
Well, turns out my brain doesn’t work sometimes. I’m chalking it up to pregnancy brain. There are over 1500 other successful projects on Ravelry, so I knew it was definitely me, not the pattern. I was ending up with stockinette stitch and there clearly is none on the pattern. Guess who forgot how to read a chart? I finally ripped back a bit and looked at the written out directions compared to the chart. I forgot that often a symbol stands for knit on the RS (right side) and the same symbol becomes a purl on the WS (wrong side). I was just looking at the little blank spaces for knit and dashes for purls as if they were absolute, and I was happily creating stockinette for awhile until I realized, “Hey, there’s no stockinette on this thing.”
I’m still crossing my fingers that everything turns out well because several knitters have commented that they didn’t have enough yarn. As I have only one skein of this amazing Hazel Knits Euphorbia and it’s a mere 15 yards more than the pattern calls for, I’m really hoping it works out. Some have knit it at a tighter gauge to make it come out closer to the specified yardage. After reading a few of those project comments I decided to go ahead and rip back and knit the thing on US 3 needles. Gauge isn’t usually crucial for shawls, but I’d rather make sure I can make it through the pattern since I only have one skein. I’m really beginning to be an expert at the beginning of this shawl, y’all.