Leftovers

Leftovers

As mentioned in my previous post, I’m trying to get rid of some stash. The things that I haven’t used and have owned for a long time are starting to feel like a burden. In some cases, like with this Cascade Eco+ yarn, I have intended to make use of the leftovers from other projects and I had just not gotten around to it yet. As I was listing things to destash, I decided to get proactive and cast on some blanket squares.

The colors are Satine (blue), Natural Gray (lighter gray), and Antique. The blanket will be a Barn Raising Quilt. Though I’m not doing this in fingering weight as intended, I am making the squares roughly the same size as called for in the pattern. In the Cascade Eco+ this means I am ending at 23 stitches per side. These squares go a lot faster than fingering weight. I once attempted this blanket in fingering weight, and got two squares finished before I quit. I have never finished an adult-sized blanket. I’m hoping for a little more staying power this time. 

If I was able to work uninterrupted, I think I could do probably one square in an hour or less. That makes finishing this project a lot more promising. I am seven squares in, and I’m going to keep working on this until I get bored and feel like working on another project again. Wish me luck!

Puffs!

I don’t know what made this project pop into my head this weekend. I was working on the Pull Gaspard and something made me think of the Beekeeper’s Quilt. I’ve read about these addictive little hexapuffs on various blog posts, and I’ve seen them on Instagram, but I thought I would never aspire to make such a blanket because it would take so long and would have so much finishing.

I guess I changed my mind.

Image

This really has very little finishing because both ends of the puff are tucked inside. The author of the pattern suggests working on hexapuffs for a year while you’re waiting for things and see where that gets you. I’m not going to set a specific goal on this one. I’m just going to make a puff here and there and see what happens. I made those over the weekend when I got tired of baby sweater sleeves.

A lot of my leftover sock yarn doesn’t really coordinate, but I’m just going to trust that if I make enough puffs they will somehow all look magnificent together. I’ve never knitted a blanket. It seems like a huge undertaking. I’ve wanted to make a Barn Raising Quilt out of my stash of Koigu for years now, but I have a hard time knitting it at all (because I love it too much) and I loathe the idea of all that finishing. The hexapuffs are put together without much seaming, making this a more attractive project, and I can also use up scraps if I don’t want to break into a new skein of something. Plus, a puff is really fairly quick to make. I made 5 on Saturday because I kept thinking, “Just one more….” And they’re CUTE!

Violently violet.

This is a sneak peek at the beginning of my Pinwheel Baby Blanket. I let myself cast on last night as soon as I finished the collar of my Curve Hem Top. I haven’t seamed the top yet, but I’m not cheating on it since it’s still drying on the blocking board. Here is my evidence:

The light is a bit low in that room since I took the picture in the 7 o’clock hour this morning, but it is solid evidence, so there. I blocked it at about 11 last night. I was a bit confused by the diagrams in the pattern, but I bet it’s just me. I did my best and moved on. At first, I realized I was about to block the short rows in the front into a straight line, destroying the curve. Luckily, in my half-sleep state I realized something was up and fixed it. The pattern recommends blocking under some wet towels that you allow to try on top. I’ve never actually used that method. Most of the time I just get the whole thing wet with some baby shampoo and block to size. Sometimes I steam the object. My steamer is on the fritz, so I pinned the top to size and just sprayed it down with some water. It seemed like a good compromise, and it was mostly dry this morning, so I should be able to seam it tonight!

I love the color of this Pinwheel. It’s really not that accurate in these shots. I fiddled with the colors in Lightroom this morning, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on which adjustment to make to make it perfect. I like the color better in person. This is accurate enough for now. I’ll have to play with different lighting times and/or locations to try to represent it better with the finished product. I’ve got another “mindless” knit happening with this blanket, and I get to make a second thing for the future Princess Mozzarella. I promise I won’t neglect my Honeybee Cardigan much longer. I need to finish it to make sure it’s safe to exchange an untouched skein of Ella Rae Lace Merino for another of this Knitosophy Princess yarn and pretend that I’m not just adding stuff to my stash…

Happy knitting!